Current:Home > ContactUS agency tasked with border security to pay $45 million over pregnancy discrimination, lawyers say -Quantum Capital Pro
US agency tasked with border security to pay $45 million over pregnancy discrimination, lawyers say
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-05 21:09:20
The agency responsible for securing the country’s land and air border crossings is settling a case that alleged the agency discriminated against pregnant employees, lawyers for the employees said Tuesday.
In a news release, lawyers for Customs and Border Protection employees said they had reached a $45 million settlement in the class action that includes nearly 1,100 women. The lawyers said the settlement also includes an agreement by the agency to enact reforms to address the discriminatory practices.
The case was filed in 2016 with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, alleging that there was a widespread practice by CBP to place officers and agriculture specialists on light duty when they became pregnant. The agency did not give them the opportunity to stay in their position with or without accommodations, according to the complaint.
This meant the women lost out on opportunities for overtime, Sunday or evening pay and for advancement, the complaint said. Anyone put on light duty assignments also had to give up their firearm and might have to requalify before they could get it back.
“Announcing my pregnancy to my colleagues and supervisor should have been a happy occasion — but it quickly became clear that such news was not welcome. The assumption was that I could no longer effectively do my job, just because I was pregnant,” said Roberta Gabaldon, lead plaintiff in the case, in the news release.
CBP did not respond to a request for comment. The agency had argued that it wasn’t standard policy to put pregnant women on light duty assignments and suggested that any misunderstanding of the agency’s light duty policy was limited to a handful of offices as opposed to being an agency-wide policy, according to a judge’s ruling last year certifying the case as a class action.
Gary Gilbert, President of Gilbert Employment Law, and Joseph Sellers, a partner at Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll, who represent the employees said there will now be a presumption that pregnant employees can do their jobs, instead of being sidelined to light duty.
The agency will have to make reasonable accommodations for them such as making sure there are uniforms available for pregnant women, the lawyers said. There will also be trainings on how the light duty policy should be implemented and a three-year period of enforcement during which the lawyers can go back to the EEOC if they hear from clients that problems are persisting.
Gilbert said the settlement doesn’t just benefit the women who are in the class action but also women who won’t face the same problems in the future when they get pregnant.
The settlement agreement still has to be finalized by a judge. The women involved in the case will get a copy of the settlement agreement and can raise objections, although the lawyers said they’d already been in touch with many of the women and were optimistic it would be accepted. A trial had been slated to begin in September.
veryGood! (664)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- South Carolina Supreme Court to decide minimum time between executions
- US Justice Department says Kentucky may be violating federal law for lack of mental health services
- Embrace the smoke, and other tips for grilling vegetables at a Labor Day barbecue
- Bodycam footage shows high
- What Brittany Cartwright Is Seeking in Jax Taylor Divorce
- Chiefs bringing JuJu Smith-Schuster back to loaded WR room – but why?
- Sarah Ferguson Shares Royally Sweet Note Honoring Queen Elizabeth II's Corgis
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Man charged with making online threats to kill election officials in Colorado and Arizona
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Minnesota officials vote to tear down dam and bridge that nearly collapsed
- Prosecutors seek death penalty for 3 Americans implicated in alleged coup attempt in Congo
- 'Real Housewives' alum Vicki Gunvalson says she survived 'deadly' health scare, misdiagnosis
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Starliner astronauts won’t return until 2025: The NASA, Boeing mission explained
- Judge accepts insanity plea from man who attacked Virginia congressman’s office with bat
- Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney won't take live calls on weekly radio show
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Chiefs bringing JuJu Smith-Schuster back to loaded WR room – but why?
Former youth center resident testifies against worker accused of rape
CeeDee Lamb, Cowboys reach four-year, $136 million contract to end standoff
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Minnesota officials vote to tear down dam and bridge that nearly collapsed
1 killed in interstate crash involving truck carrying ‘potentially explosive’ military devices
Embrace the smoke, and other tips for grilling vegetables at a Labor Day barbecue